After successfully tendering the winning bid through quantity surveyors, Baraclough, English, Wright, to be the principle contractor with the task of preparing and painting the external of the Meadowhall Link Bridge which runs over the River Don that joins the transport interchange to Meadowhall Shopping Centre.
The contract encountered every Health and Safety protocol within our industry that one can imagine and the work was very high risk. These were things such as:
- Environmental Challenges - Working over a river, we had to manage and implement safe systems to ensure that we didnt pollute the river or harm any species of wildlife or plant life in the ecosystem (under the Wildlife and Country Side Act 1985). We worked with the Environmental Agency who guided us in preventing any changes to natural habitats and sustain the bio-diversity of the surroundings.
- No chemicals were allowed to be used in the cleaning regime prior to the painting works so we found a solution in using irrigated water and good, old fashioned "elbow grease". This solution negated the use of clean water from recycled resources.
- The works could only be carried out at night in the beginning of spring meaning we had to close one of the main arterial routes around Sheffield, Meadowhall Transport Interchange and Meadowhall Shopping Centre.
- We were working at height from truck mounted access equipment, weighing in at approximately 40 tons, over water so our workforce were equipped with life jackets complete with lights, whistles and flourescent clothing. "Banksmen"monitored the scheme and were in touch with the emergency services in the event of an incident.
- The access equipment came in close proximity of hidden chambers and soft verges.
- COSHH (Control of Substances Hazardous to Health) data and assessments had to be produced, as well as other Risk Assessments for the products used to paint the bridge.
- Out of hours deliveries had to be kept flowing along the service roads which we were working above so a traffic management system was produced and managed.
- A plan to ensure the welfare of pedestrians was also introduced and policed due to the amount of foot fall in the area.
- We successfully completed the contract with no disruption to any busines, without any near misses or other incidents.